By Nic Nielsen | JUCOWeekly Contributor
#1 Salt Lake
The Bruins picked up three wins this week at the 2021 Wrangler Shootout in Odessa, TX.
- Midland 93-66
- #11 New Mexico 69-67
- HM Odessa 102-95 OT
The Bruins have a terrific basketball team that shares the basketball and has depth at every position.
I was highly impressed by point guard Chase Adams. Adams is a Chicago Orr HS graduate and a D1 transfer from the University of Portland.
Winning teams have point guards who facilitate the offense, do not turn the basketball over, and hit free throws. Adams is also an 84.8% free throw shooter on the season.
Chase Adams Statistics:
- Midland: 26 minutes, 21 points, 2 assists, 0 turnovers
- New Mexico: 31 minutes, 15 points, 4 assists, 4 turnovers
- Odessa: 38 minutes, 33 points, 3 assists, 1 turnover
Turkey Day Classic
The Turkey Day Classic held at the home of Florida Southwestern State's Suncoast Credit Union Arena brought together four great programs with a chance of making it to the national tournament in Hutchinson, KS
- Florida Southwestern State
- Eastern Florida State
- Snow College
- Spartanburg Methodist College
All four teams went 1-1 in the classic.
In a bizarre ending, Eastern Florida State's Brody Boyer, hit a clear three-point shot that would have tied the game against Snow in overtime at 80 with 7 seconds left. Snow goes the length of the floor and misses a shot at the buzzer. After the horn sounds, everyone realizes that the officials declare Hoyer's shot a two-point field goal and the Titan's lose 80-79. (See image
On The Rise
The Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference is as good as I can remember, with eight to ten good teams.
Coach Rusty Elmore and the Colby Trojans look like a team to notice in the 2021-2022 season.
Colby is currently 7-1, with their only loss occurring at Lamar (5-3).
The Trojans picked up two impressive victories over Butler and Independence this week with an identical 104-84 score.
The Trojans are not a deep team but have five players averaging in double figures through eight games.
- Tyrone Marshall, Jr 19.3 6-7 Nashville, TN
- Ronald Mitchell 19.3 6-3 Philadelphia, PA
- Ahmad Johnson 17.6 6-4 Punta Gorda, FL
- Allen Mukeba 15.0 6-7 Belgium
- JJ White 13.3 6-2 Norman, OK
Nielsen Top Five
- Salt Lake
- John A. Logan
Player of the Week
- Chase Adams - Salt Lake
The upcoming week is another slate of heavyweight matchups. There are a handful of Thanksgiving classics as well as the beginning of conference play.
While not all-inclusive, these are some of the prime matchups that you will want to plan your travel and family plans around:
- Lamar State-Port Arthur v. Northwest Florida St
- Southeastern (IA) v. Mineral Area
- Indian Hills v. John A. Logan
- Odessa v. Northwest Florida State
- John A. Logan v Triton
- Dodge City v. Coffeyville
- Georgia Highlands v. Indian River State
- South Georgia Tech v. State College of FL
- Eastern Florida State v. South Georgia Tech
- South Georgia Tech v. Indian River State
- Georgia Highlands v. Eastern Florida State
- Colby v. Coffeyville
- Hutchinson v. Barton
I wish you and your family a happy and safe Thanksgiving.